Coast to Coast Storage is the newest self-storage facility in the Tweed Heads, Kingscliff, Casuarina and surrounding areas. We understand that packing up and moving can be very daunting and overwhelming. Where to start? The key to successful packing and moving into self-storage is a little planning and preparation. In our Box Shop we have boxes and packaging supplies, to ensure your move is as easy as possible. Here are a few hints and tips that can serve as a guide to help you on your way:
- Invest in good quality boxes and packaging materials. Stack boxes to the ceiling to make the best use of your storage unit. Fill your boxes so they don’t collapse, but don’t overfill the boxes as they will be difficult to stack and may tip. Label boxes clearly on more than one side. Place ‘Fragile’ stickers on boxes which hold breakable items.
- Wrap fragile items individually in bubble wrap and packing paper – avoid newspaper as it can be very messy.
- Large appliances need care before placing into self-storage. Fridges and freezers should be thoroughly defrosted and dried before being stored. Drain washing machines before storing and tie down hoses, etc. Keep doors slightly ajar to prevent odour and mildew.
- If you are storing lawnmowers, whipper snippers, leaf blower vacs, small recreational vehicles or other machinery, you must drain fuel tanks before packing them into your storage unit and place a tarp or piece of cardboard underneath to avoid damaging the floor. This will reduce the risk of leakage, spillage and damage to other items in your storage space and also prevent your items adopting a fuel odour. Fuel and oil are also fire hazards.
- When storing pictures and mirrors in your storage unit, wrap them in a protective covering. We have special boxes for this purpose. Mirrors and pictures should never be stored flat and should always be marked ‘Fragile’.
- Cover and pad furniture with protective coverings to help ensure that they stay in good condition while in transit and in storage. Mattresses are best stored on their long end. Stand sofas on end wherever possible to save space and don’t stack too much on top of soft furnishings. You can save space by dismantling beds and tables before storing. Just remember to keep all the bits together and clearly marked so they can be easily found when putting back together. We have Safe Spot boxes available which are ideal in keeping furniture screws, keys, castors and assembly tools together. These boxes are also ideal to keep mugs, kettle and tea bags for that much needed cuppa when you make your next move!
- Cleanliness is very important to us and we work hard to maintain a clean environment. For your protection, we recommend all food crumbs and stains be removed from clothes and soft furnishings before storing. Do not store anything that could attract vermin into yours or others storage units.